Make A Claim

Parksure policies are designed to give you the best cover at competitive premiums and we will do our very best to help you resolve any Park Home Insurance claims/disputes in a timely and professional manner.

When the unexpected and unpleasant occurs, what you do next can make a big difference. To that end we have put together some useful advice that may help you.

Should you experience a claim, please do not hesitate to contact us during normal office hours on 01452 314413 or alternatively you can start your claim online now.

Outside office hours, please leave a message on our answering service with your contact details and we will endeavour to call you back as soon as possible.

Alternatively there are several emergency numbers contained in your policy wording which you should refer to if needed.


Helpful Advice

Am I Covered?

The answer is invariably going to be yes, but certain things are not covered (in line with other insurers) such as general wear and tear or damage caused by poor maintenance, as keeping your home in a good state of repair is your responsibility and is not an insurable risk.

Do I Have to Complete a Form?

Yes you will have to complete a claim form and return it to us. You can either contact us to send you a claim form, click the sub heading above to print your own to complete and return it to us via post or you can start your online claim here.

Will I Have an Excess?

Yes, almost all insurance policies have an excess now. The excess is likely to be £50 for General Claims and £500 for Subsidence (unless stated otherwise in your policy wording).

Will I Have to Obtain an Estimate?

In the majority of claims an estimate will need to be obtained for repairs/replacement. It is normal practice in larger cases to obtain a minimum of two estimates.

Will the Insurers Want to Send Someone Out?

In some cases your Insurers may deem it necessary to appoint a loss adjuster to come out and inspect the damaged home or items.

Remember once a claim/incident has happened, you need to take all reasonable steps to prevent further damage from occurring.

What is a Loss Adjuster?

A Loss Adjuster is a claims specialist appointed by and paid for by the Insurance Company.

Although they are paid for by the company they are classed as independent and are there to resolve the claim in a timely and efficient manner.

Once a Loss Adjuster is appointed all dealings with the claim should go through them; although should you have any queries you can always talk to us.